* FDIC facing growing failures among small banks;
* Three reasons for not pursuing trading as a living;
* Does restricting calories improve health?
* Sobering view on the pension crisis;
* Credit contraction and other topics for important reading;
* But for leverage, Amaranth's strategy was a winner;
* Size matters: ETFs can change markets;
* Thanks to a sharp reader for this link to an article on cocaine addiction in the financial industry;
* Behind the economic collapse was fraud;
* Getting beyond quackery in the coverage of economic data and markets;
* Diversifying beyond the U.S. dollar;
* Thoughts on political power and the financial system.